Nowadays, I am getting an error which I am sharing with you also. The error is that “auto redirect old URL to new URL”. In fact, I have changed my old post slug. After this, now old posts auto redirect to new URL. Why I changed the slug of the old post? Because Google prefers short URL not a long. Therefore, I have changed my long URL to short. But now after it, when a visitor visits the old one it auto redirect to a new URL.
Keep in mind: Don’t change slug for those posts which are indexed by a search engine or have backlinks.
I have changed the slug of those posts which are not indexed by search engine and my posts don’t have backlinks.
First of all, remove the redirection plugin if you have installed. After it, access .htaccess file and check for manually 301 redirect if any. Lastly, empty trash of your site by accessing your WordPress admin area.
WordPress has a great feature which never forgets your site’s old URL to away from broken links. While someone wants to access via old URL it auto redirect to new URL. So if you are also facing then here you will get method to rid of redirect old WordPress posts to new URL.
By the way, this is a really great feature of WordPress but it makes panic when you cannot check it from your main dashboard. For checking this you must access your database for fixing this “auto redirect old URL to new URL”.
What Rubbish! Redirect Old URL To New URL
Now just read how to fix redirect old URL to new URL? Before work on your database don’t forget to take backup of your database. If you don’t have the idea then don’t create panic for you by your own hand. You can hire a professional. Now if you want to do by your own end then see the method to rid of redirect old URL to new URL.
- For this purpose, you need to login CPanel.
- Here you can search for phpMyAdmin by pressing CTRL+F.
- I was facing the issue was it, mydomain.com/backlinks-generator-list-seo-tips-edu-gov-backlinks-sites-free-social-bookmarking-sites-dofollow-links-internal-linking was redirecting to new URL. So the slug is “backlinks-generator-list-seo-tips-edu-gov-backlinks-sites-free-social-bookmarking-sites-dofollow-links-internal-linking“.
- Just copy the slug and select database.
- After selection the database, your will get Search tab. Click on this tab and paste the slug here.
- Now click on Search tab and place slug. Now select all tables and hit the search button.
- You will get a result like shown below.
- Here you are seeing wp_postmeta Just click on Browse button.
- Now just see the value “backlinks-generator-list-seo-tips-edu-gov-backlinks-sites-free-social-bookmarking-sites-dofollow-links-internal-linking” and wording _wp_old_slug.
- When asking about it just confirm it.
Now when you access your old post it will not auto redirect to new URL. This was the solution to fix auto redirect URL to new URL. I hope the method which I have told will help you to remove redirect old URL to new URL. But if you face any difficulty regarding old WordPress URL redirecting to new URL then leave a comment.